Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Some Lessons Cannot Be Taught, They Must Be Lived To Be Understood.


In light of a recent dramatic event, the lessons it unfolded have become invaluable possessions that I want to retain in my mind and carry with me in my journeys through life. And so it goes, the throes of life being presented to us not to kill us and make us weak, but to make us stronger and wiser. As easy as it may seems, its even harder to actually have them happen to you. And I had to learn the hard way, by getting myself arrested at immigration. I had forgotten to renew my visit pass and since I was already at immigration during the announcement, it was of course all too late. I almost peed in my pants!!

Now let me take you on a very short journey back in time. 27th February 2012. I was pretty excited to meet my Bapak after a while. Also my elder sister, Sa'adiah was getting married the next day! So in one way or another, I MUST come home. And then the announcement came through the speakers reminding passengers and making sure of them having valid documents for immigration. "Ladies and gentlemen. May I have your attention please. As we are approaching the Tanjong Kupang Immigration checkpoint, may I remind you to ensure that you have valid travel documents as required by immigration. I would also appreciate a prompt return to the bus upon clearance. Thank you for your kind co-operation." My heart raced. I remembered not leaving the country upon returning from Bali on the 4th January. FIFTY-FOUR DAYS AGO!!!! I went pale. Cold sweat started to form around my temples. My darkest day is here for the second time. I was frozen in my seat as the bus approached the checkpoint.

Not less than a zillion thoughts ran through my head. I could literally see my whole life passing by in front of me like movie screens. I started to message friends and family to inform them of my predicament. Now THIS is the time to openly ask for help. I managed to use my iPad2 to profile down my situation so that people can be informed should there be any problem. I closed the device and went straight to the Imm counter where I saw a nice woman with such cheery smile was waiting to start her routine. Before she found out about my overstay, I confessed. Told her that I was being totally forgetful and ignorant and promised her this will never happen again.

She looked up at me and asked, "Berapa lama tu awak over stay?", I said, "54 hari". HA??? was the prompt response and instantly I was brought up to the deputy's office to explain myself which involved a count of what would happen to me if were found guilty. This was the time when the word "Lepak" (hang out) made sense and miraculously became a useful excuse judging by the reaction of officers. A series of open discussion on my facebook profile followed on how to get me out. 2 hours, 2 siblings (Ruby and Sudin) and 2 friends (an oldest and a latest) later, I was out!!! But not without the help from a higher authority, my latest friend's acquaintance and of course a little push from under the table. Urgh. I regretted the latter but it had to be done. Then again, freedom was so sweet!! I was bleeding with gratitude since.

Although they are issues that could have been avoided, something as natural as forgetfulness intervened so that lessons can be learned and its wisdom indoctrinated. As such, I do believe that obstacles and mishaps happen for a reason. They manifest themselves in many forms and when nature decides that someone had been too complacent, had accumulated enough ignorance or simply in need for the next step in life, boom! - nature appears as a wake up call. A self realization to keep us on our toes, an occasional self checking insight that everyone is so in need of. Since then, it has taught me how to check my passport meticulously well before the day of departure.

When we are faced with such predicament, some of us would instantly find escape by calling to mind how it could have happened and who could be blamed. Unfortunately life is not always about escaping and blaming, and that is not the lesson that life wants to teach us, instead it is about responsibilities, choices that we make, and reasons for making them. While many lessons and problem solving matters could be taught in schools and institutions through books and lectures, some lessons simply cannot be taught, they must be lived to be understood. Having said that, hopefully we only have to live the lessons in a state of health and good conscience.

In 23 days 10 hours and 6 minutes, I depart for my journey in seeking a naked life. A life stripped of wealth and attachments, on foot through 11 cities in 5 countries coming across with more cultures than you can shake-a-stick out! So any lesson about life would be another lesson I take with me, each person who had positively affected my life would be another person to be remembered through this journey, for these are what I would refer to if any quandary decides to happen in seeking strength because I do strongly believe that what doesn't kill us will make us stronger. I hope from all the lessons I learnt from my life in Kuala Lumpur that had made me strong, would carry me through my journey and keep me safe from harm.

Lastly, I would really hope that I could come back and share what could be the most incredibly amazing trip of my lifetime. It will only be me, my 60 liter back pack, Yogitoes, my Eko-lite manduka, the freedom of choice, the will to make things happen, no attachments, no commitments, no extra baggage at the back of my mind, and absolutely NO REGRETS!

Sometimes we simply need to stop hoping and let go of things but there are other times when we need to have faith that hope will happen. Guess what? I have lived both and doing it all over again. And this journey would without a doubt, be the one that I want live for its lessons to be understood.


2 comments:

  1. All the best in your journey..will miss you very much but I am sure you will be back coz all your students in KL will be waiting for you to come back to teach us again. Meanwhile, will keep practicing and keep in mind all you have taught us, not only the yoga techniques but also the lessons in life. Namaste.

    Love and light,
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karin. I will also definitely miss you and the gang. Please please persuade the rest to keep going with the practice cos i dont want you all to lose what we've already built. I will always remember you guys for as long as breath resonates.

    Om shanti,
    A

    ReplyDelete