Sunday, March 27, 2011

... Dalam Botol - TAHNIAH. CONGRATS!


Ok... to be honest, it took me a few days to decide if I would take the chance on this movie. Since there was not anything much to do at 11.30am at the Curve this morning, I thought what the heck. I am one that is not always turned on by a Malay movie, with the exception of those by the late Yasmin Ahmad. Since she left, there has never been a movie that could remotely match her boldness and audacity to put reality, honesty, and the most painful truth on the big screen. Until now.

I am not just saying this because of its theme in relative to my own life but solely because of Khir Rahman's ability to capture the essence of the character played tastefully by Azra Lee. Its like wow!!! I thought Khir must be one that has truly connected with Ruby AND Bidin. And for Azra Lee, who has obviously studied his character meticulously, it is kinda hard to imagine anyone who has not been a transgender to pull something like this off and come out tops! If you know me, I am very very stringent about crediting Malay movies. While others thought Merong Mahawangsa should be given an A for bravery, I think the only A I would give Yusri is for his effort in trying, the rest of it should be slaughtered off at the guillotine. But this movie, never mind its compromising title, should, no, MUST be put on TV, the stage, and into the very heart of a society that is still blind towards the existence of the transgender.

Khir Rahman has oh so took the incredible effort of choosing his characters well and it was such a treat to watch the veterans like Normah Damanhuri, Fauziah Ahmad Daud and Jalil Hamid played out their characters with such professionalism that their prowess showed in an engaging manner and left me wanting for more. I was so in delight that some part of me wanted to jump out and said YES!!



Even the sub characters Ghaus (Wan Raja) and Dina (Diana Danielle) who played Ruby and Bidin's partners consecutively were played out with such tenacity that I cannot even think at that moment could be played by anyone else. Kudos to all these characters. My high respect to all of you! Gosh, did I just say that?

Ok this movie MUST be made into a stage play, I don't care, it MUST! I think the presence of characters on stage would further enhance its intrepid message through strong delivery. Any takers? Common guys, stop taking on movies like all the superstitious and imbecile themes that all it does was to scare people thoughtless. And honestly, they always ended up a laughing stock. And to make people believe in those things is HARAM mak oiii!!! Tahyul!! Adus!! never stop. Ceh! Have you all not learned? More real stories from the very backyard of our lives like ...Dalam Botol should be brought out in the open. Or maybe it was just the amazing combination of Raja Azmi brilliant depiction and Khir Rahman that has brought this incredible true story to life! It brought tears to my eyes...



Truth be told, I am now for one that is going to be on the look out for movies by Khir Rahman. My highest and most honorable respect goes to him for effort, courage, dauntlessness, and sensitivity. You really make me miss the late Yasmin Ahmad, but yeah, now that you have arrived, I thank you. I wish I could say all the above to you and Raja Azmi myself.

Love,
A

2 comments:

  1. Damn.... reading your writing and falshing back to the movie just make me cry. I always adore Khir Rahman as an actor but here in his directorial debut, damn he is awesome. handsome and all the someness in the world. Hope to see more venture of his talent to different type of movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for dropping by cikherba. Yeah let us together wait for his next venture. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete