Monday, March 21, 2011

A Walk with Above and Beyond




Yesterday morning, I had the chance of walking 2 kilometers from home in Damansara Perdana to Bukit Utama, where I teach. I tell you, it opened some insights that we sometimes failed to see. I don't normally walk to work but due to a financial crisis, I decided to walk, and what a walk I had.

Time - 0746 hrs (kick-0ff)
Temperature - a cool and crispy 25 degrees celcius. Cloudy sky. Very cloudy.
Wind chill factor - moderate.
Humidity - 88%

I started walking shortly after a breakfast of Roti Canai and mineral water. The cool weather brought some enthusiasm to my plan. My ipod was playing a podcast series 361 of the trance group Above and Beyond entitled - Trance Around The World with Above and
Beyond. Trust me, if you guys need any wift to move your booty, this is the sound to tune in to do just that!

I noticed that there were very few cars on the road, but then again, it WAS a Sunday when people would rather stay in bed. However, my travel was not one without stopping. At least to capture the sights of my walk.

My first stop was after 20 minutes, arriving at the junction of Persiaran Surian and Jln Kota Damansara. The best thing was, despite the high humidity, I have not broken into a sweat yet. It actually felt nice, especially when gusts of that crispy cool breeze caressed my warm face. Whenever that happened, closing my eyes to briefly enjoy it seemed like the perfect thing to do.

Even after 30minutes, the area still appears like a ghost town. By then, my legs started to feel tight, especially my feet walking on uneven terrain in those Converse sneakers.

However, as I watched a group of foreign workers walking from their respective apartments to shopping malls around Mutiara Damansara, which I gathered where they would be working, I thought twice about my complains. These people walk everyday to work, some as far as a kilometer away and yet they still broke into a smile when they glanced past me. I began to wonder about their lives, how they left everything they've ever known in their lives to travel all the way way here, far from the people they love just to find work in order to support those people they left back home. With the little money they earn from their back breaking job in the service industry and making our lives convenient, little would be left for them to survive here after sending most back home to their families. This would be their lives in years to come. How trivial my problem is compare to the throes of their lives..



0831hrs - The view of Bukit Utama condominium appeared in between the trees as I looked up at this point. I have been cautious on the pathway as there were some parts which were unfinished, and there were a few manholes that could have been a disaster for anyone who might fall into it. The walk had in a way reminded me of life itself, its never a smooth road. Along the way you would meet people from all walks of life, and as you move on with your journey, serious disaster awaits if you are not vigilant enough.

0856hrs - I finally arrived at my destination drenched in sweat! Nevertheless, I felt immensely happy to have completed the journey. Shortly after opening the studio, I took a few moments to reflect on that eventful walk.


In a nutshell, Life has its ups and downs and living through it means you HAVE to take that road no matter what. Its not about trying to avoid it but its more about choosing the best way t go through it. And whatever your decision may be, rest assured you WILL arrive at your final destination. Everyone arrives at their destination differently. Some may arrive in a sweat, others may arrive in a peaceful state. The rest may either arrive early or very late. Irregardless of how you arrive, The Destination IS where you want to be after a long long walk.


Above all and beyond everything, lets honor and respect our lives by being kind to others because as it happens, it's the only one we've got and we do not want to live it by being bad.

Om Shanti,
Azmi Samdjaga

No comments:

Post a Comment